Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sauteed Dandelions!!!





It's free...it's healthy...it's tasty and fun for the kiddos!  My four year old daughter and I went into our backyard and gathered a bunch of dandelions, root and all. We washed them super good, gathering them into handfuls and rinsing and soaking them in a large bowl over and over until the water ran clear. Then, we clipped the flowers and roots off and sorted the roots out. I didn't use the roots this time, but they make a great coffee substitute from what I hear. It helps clean the liver.

After we had a huge bowl of dandelion greens and flowers, we took them inside and boiled them for about 15 minutes to get rid of a lot of the bitter flavor. I gave the pot likker to my mother who just had kidney removal surgery, because drinking dandelion pot likker is good for the kidneys and urinary tract.

After they were boiled, I put them in a pan with some melted butter and garlic and sauteed them. I added in some mushrooms, some onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar and VOILA! Free food!
Just make sure you don't gather dandelions near the road or in any areas where pesticides might be sprayed.

You can also make a shit ton of other things with dandelions! Check out this blog http://relache.hubpages.com/hub/Delicious-Dandelions

No comments:

Post a Comment