Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The morning rush and ADHD and oh look shiny!

   So, I'm sitting here tonight, in my small apartment living room, drinking Muscadine wine and scrolling through Facebook when it dawned on me; I SHOULD BLOG!
   I'm so bad about remembering to do things and staying on task (I can thank my ADHD for that).
Being a stay at home mom is challenging, but it can be especially challenging for someone with ADHD...especially if you are raising kids who also have ADHD.
  See, kids with ADHD need structure and organization, but let's face it...I can't even keep myself structured and organized, so how the hell am I supposed to be of any help to them?  My oldest is the only one of my three kids in school and she doesn't have to be there until 9:15 am (her school must have done that on purpose for me, because I am definitely not a morning person). I set my alarm for 7:30, 7:45 and 8:00 and every morning without fail, I hit the snooze button on all of them so that they are all going off at different intervals and I STILL can't drag my ass out of bed until I realize that it's 8:30 and I'm probably ruining my kids life and that because of my failings she will end up resenting me for the rest of her life and she'll probably rebel just like I did and end up pregnant at 20 by some hobo she met online....but that's just the anxiety aspect of the ADHD talking. So...I pull myself up and into the bathroom to pee...by this time, at least one of my kids is standing there staring at me asking for cereal and the kitten is clawing the shit out of my legs as I kick him off of me for the millionth time while rearranging every cuss word I know into words like "fudge" and "biscuit", because well...you know...little ears. Hubby is usually just as groggy as I am (he was blessed with this wonderful ADHD thing too) and is slowly sitting up in bed only to slunk back down and check his phone. I then race to get my kid dressed, pack a lunch and throw her a cereal bar (or sometimes even a homemade muffin if it's been a good week) and head out the door. I usually get her to school on time, but just barely, and then I peel out of the parking lot while usually listening to HIM or Smashing Pumpkins or something similar. Sometimes I will stop at my mother's house for coffee, but I usually head home so that hubby can get ready for work.
  I suck at being a manicured, crafty, organized stay at home mom. I cannot get my shit together. However, my kids LOVE me. My oldest girl, who is 7, thinks I'm cool and wants to be just like me...even if she is the sassiest thing in the world. My son, who is 5, tells me things like, "mommy I think you are pretty even without your makeup...so you don't have to do it when we go out today". And my youngest daughter, who is 2 loves me so much that she wants to be attached to my boobs all day long. Yes, you heard me right...I still breastfeed my toddler. Suck it! Pun intended.
  My point is that...you don't have to have it all together. You don't have to be perfect. As long as you are trying, as long as you are growing, as long as you care...and as long as you LOVE THE SHIT out of your kids...you are doing fine. You are better than fine. You are a good parent. And you're especially a good parent if you stay up late worried that you're fucking them up somehow. It shows that you care about them so much that you are willing to lose more sleep than you have to over them. And we all know that sleep is a precious commodity when you are a parent.
BLESSINGS FELLOW PARENTS....GOD AND GODDESS BLESS YOU ALL!!! )O(

2 comments:

  1. I feel you're one of the best parents there is!

    You're welcome to visit and follow me as well, I'm quite sure you remember me my friend, just click on my name and you'll be taken there.

    Blessings!

    Lon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Lon! That is very sweet of you! I will definitely follow you!

      Delete